DOE start can be traced to the Manhattan Project and the race to develop the atomic bomb during World War II. Although institutional origins of DOE began the atomic century, there has been an increased emphasis on environmental activities and technology innovation since the agency was activated in 1977.
The mission of the Administration shall be the following:
- to enhance United States national security through the military application of nuclear energy;
- to maintain and enhance the safety, reliability, and performance of the United States nuclear weapons stockpile, including the ability to design, produce, and test, in order to meet national security requirements;
- to provide the United States Navy with safe, militarily effective nuclear propulsion plants and to ensure the safe and reliable operation of those plants;
- to promote international nuclear safety and nonproliferation;
- to reduce global danger from weapons of mass destruction;
- to support United States leadership in science and technology.